Monday, July 4, 2011

30 Day Zelda Challenge: Day 3- Favorite Villain

***Warning: There are spoilers in this blog post***

The Defender of Hyrule's Top 5 Zelda Villains:




#5 BellumBeck: I know that choosing Linebeck as one of my favorite villains is a little strange, but let me explain myself. I chose this boss because Linebeck had been a selfish, rupee-grubbing coward throughout most of Phantom Hourglass and when Bellum had Link and Tetra in his clutches on the verge finishing them off, Linebeck actually picked up the sword to face Bellum and save his friend! It's weird to say but, I felt like a sense of pride in Linebeck for standing up to Bellum and trying to protect his friends. Through the adventures and new found friendship Linebeck had with Link, he found the courage to put something and someone before himself and that's the magic of Zelda games, they make you care and root for the characters involved.




#4 Byrne: For those of you who are asking "Who the hell is Byrne??" he was a villain in Spirit Tracks who betrayed his Master, Anjean, in an attempt to gain more power by serving the Demon King, Malladus. Byrne had been a servant of The Spirits for over a century under the instruction of Anjean, but his intentions were not pure since Byrne's only true master was the thirst for power. In the Spirit Tracks' story, Byrne almost seems to be going down the same path Ganondorf did in other Zelda games, but after a confrontation with Link and Zelda where they could've finished him off, they let him live instead and I believe the kindness that was shown toward him by Link, Zelda and even Anjean, was what changed Byrne's heart. At the end of Spirit Tracks, Byrne sacrifices his life to save Link and Zelda. Later after the final match with Malladus, we are told by Anjean that Byrne is not dead, she then uses her powers and Byrne's spirit appears in the form of a glowing, black orb. Byrne was a power-hungry, Ganon-esque character that had a change of heart and actually became a hero because of an act of kindness and a show of true courage from Link and Zelda.





#3 Zant: One word can sum up Zant, CRAZY! Zant was a Twili bent on the domination of the Twilight Realm and that hatred and lust for power is what drew Ganondorf to him and ultimately made him loose his mind. I almost pitied Zant because really he was just a puppet of Ganondorf's but how can you have pity for someone that was ultimately evil to the core and was just not powerful enough to meet his own goals. Zant was a sniveling coward who couldn't handle the fact that he was not the next in line to rule the Twili and because of that he basically sold his soul to Ganondorf. While Ganondorf will always be Link's nemesis, Zant was a good villain in Twilight Princess because he was pretty much complete opposite of Link, selfish, weak, spiteful and cowardly. I do have to say that one thing that I did like Zant was his eccentric personality and actions, him jumping around like a homicidal Daffy Duck use to crack me up, haha.





#2 Vaati: There is a real trend amongst the villains thirsting of power in the Zelda universe and Vaati is no exception to this trend. Ultimately the biggest reason I like Vaati is because I thought the final fight with him was fun. Utilizing the Four Sword and using Ezlo to shirnk down to Minish size was a little bit of a challenge and added a twist to the final boss fight in the Minish Cap.





#1 Ganondorf - The King of Evil: I know it's a little cliche to pick Ganondorf as my number Zelda villain, but I can't help it; where I see Link as the perfect hero, I see Ganondorf as the perfect villain. Ganondorf is strong, imposing, relentless, intelligent and an all around bad ass. I know people say they are sick of Link vs Ganondorf, but I can't get enough of it! Having a new villain here and there keeps the series fresh but nobody can hand out a "can of whoop-ass" to Link like Ganondorf. Ganondorf's story is an interesting and well thought out plot and we get to find out more of his early life supposedly in Skyward Sword. Ganondorf battles are always epic and deeply satisfying once you have defeated him. For all those reasons and more, Ganondorf is the ultimate bad guy that I love to hate!

1 comment:

  1. Ganondorf will probably be mine too, I can't wait to learn more about him in SS!!!

    ReplyDelete