Sunday, July 10, 2011

Zelda 30 Day Challenge: Day 5 - Love Interest

Link! Link is my love interest in the Legend of Zelda series and he has been ever since I was a 13 year old girl playing Ocarina of Time for the first time. Link is handsome, noble, brave, selfless and kind and any female who is a true fan of the Zelda series would be lying if they said they weren't at least a little attracted to Link. So this blog entry will give details as to why my gamer heart will always belong to the real defender of Hyrule.

Link is the perfect specimen of a hero and while the series may bare the name of Zelda, the game and the true legend belongs to him. The Legend of Zelda tells a slightly different story each time a game is released but there is a basic premise: a land is in peril and a single hero stands up and defends it. That is why I love the Zelda series and that is why I love Link, he sacrifices his all for the greater good and stands up to ultimate evil when lesser men cower or even serve it. My heart and chest get tight just thinking about it.

Nintendo leaving Link's character and personality so vague is another reason why I think that myself and other fans can fall for him so easily. Leaving Link's character vague is ultimately to immerse the player into the role of Link in the game, but by doing this, I am able to imagine what Link's response and personality could be. My imagination can create the perfect, handsome Hylian hero that will always fight evil and protect the innocent. My chest is getting tight again, haha.

The final reason I believe I have such strong feelings for Link is because I see a lot of myself in him. I know that sounds weird, but let me explain. My entire life I have had a strong sense of right and wrong and have always tried to stick to my beliefs. I've always been the person to defend the weak, hell I even started a fight with a guy twice my size for hurting my little brother. And I am always trying to help and save people, even to my own detriment and at the sacrifice of my own feelings. Now I am not saying that I have taken on the King of Evil and his legions of minions, but in my heart, I'd like to think that if I was in the same situation that I would take up the Master Sword and defend the people of Hyrule. For those reasons, I feel like I can relate to Link to certain extent and almost have a connection to him.

Well that is enough out of this fan girl now that I am thoroughly embaressed, please leave comments about who your Zelda or even any video game crush is and why down below.
Defender of Hyrule out....

1 comment:

  1. I can see why you're embarrassed. ;)

    Just kidding, my friend.

    I wish more heroes could be like Link and Mario: you just know they're good guys, and that they're heroes. Some games put far too much detail into their heroes, so you don't get to take the time to imagine a story for yourself. That's another reason why I like Oblivion - you make your own story for who you are, why you're in that jail cell, and why you think you're the one to help save Cyrodiil.

    Oh man, aside from Link and Gannypants, I think my main love interest has to be either Jak or Torn from Jak II and 3 from the series Jak and Daxter. They are hunks, and they are bad boys. Torn is a jerk, and Jak is quick to anger. They both have manly voices. Jak has a goatee and can handle a gun like a pro.

    ... Hot.

    You may find this one *weird*, but my last love interest in a game is Jack from A Wonderful Life (Harvest Moon). I don't know why.. He's just so cute and honest and quiet. I love him. :)

    ReplyDelete