Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gamer Girls.....

I have a love/hate relationship with the term "Gamer Girl", it's a double-edged sword that is on one side, helping female gamers carve a name for themselves in the gaming community and on the other, is creating a stereotype of who a "real gamer girl" is.

The biggest reason I dislike the "gamer girl" term is surprisingly because of gamer girls themselves. I don't have any hate towards TRUE gamer girls, the ones that not only love a video game but can also kick your ass in it and give you the detailed history behind it, but the girls who exploit their sexuality to become popular and use the term to try and pick up guys. To these "gamers", video games are just a means to end to have boys flirt with them and have no real knowledge or love for the game. This pisses me off because these "gamers" make life for us real gamer girls incredible difficult, true gamer girls have to fight twice as hard to earn respect of any other gamer even if they have real skill and can dish out a serious ass kicking. We do exist and I am sure that my fellow girl gamers have my back on this.

I guess all in all, I am just trying to say that not all girls who game are doing it for the attention and popularity, most of us just want to play the game, have fun and kick some ass. How about this, if I love gaming and you love gaming, how about we just leave our genders out of the equation and go by "gamers"? Deal?

Defender of Hyrule out...

1 comment:

  1. I remember starting at uni and on one of the first few weekends we all played mariokart together and me and my friend beat all the boys and they were so surprised haha. I kind of like it when people think I'm going to be rubbish because the victory is then twice as sweet ;-)

    ReplyDelete